The Rockbridge Symphony is currently accepting applications for an Artistic Director.
Starting date – July 1, 2020.
Applications reviewed upon receipt.
Active since 1975, the Rockbridge Symphony is a community symphony orchestra with approximately 50 active musicians. Some members are professional musicians; all of the musicians are dedicated to the ensemble which is highly respected by a supportive community. As needed per performance, professional musicians are contracted to supplement the ensemble. Performing three public concerts plus an area school concert, and a winter dance, the ensemble rehearses once weekly (currently Tuesday evenings) August through May.
Performances are held at local churches and also at Washington and Lee University in Lexington. The Rockbridge Symphony benefits from many generous patrons, concert admission proceeds, and additional support from local businesses and the Fine Arts In Rockbridge organization.
Responsibilities of the Artistic Director:
- Coordinating and scheduling rehearsals and performances
- Selecting repertoire
- Contracting soloists as needed, coordinating with the Personnel Manager
- Rehearsing the ensemble and conducting all performances
The Successful Candidate will:
- Have earned a Bachelor’s degree in Music Education, Performance, or a related area of expertise (Master/Doctorate preferred)
- Possess full orchestra experience (conducting and performing)
- Exhibit knowledge of orchestral repertoire
- Exhibit an understanding of Adult Learning Theory & Pedagogy
- Have experience conducting volunteers as well as professionals
- Submit a resume and contacts for three references
- If chosen for interview, a digital sample (conducting and/or rehearsing) will be requested
- Finalist(s) will be asked to conduct part of an orchestra rehearsal
- This is a paid position. Compensation will be negotiated relevant to experience.
- Submit applications to the President Symphony Steering Committee, Mr. Jack Bissett Jbissett@Rockbridge.net